A Letter to Myself
So for my first project, I wanted to create a visual to a poetic letter that I wrote to myself. I was just super inspired one day by a selfie I decided to post online of myself without makeup, and I began to write this:
“ I remember when I used to whine whenever my mom wouldn’t let me wear makeup to church. I remember when I cried because I couldn’t wear hair extensions for my senior photo. Now I’m completely detached, matter of fact I want to chop it all off , I see hair & makeup as expression more than anything now. I’m becoming less attached towards material and external things, and more content within myself. My love for myself is so much greater. I’m humbled in ways that were necessary for growth. Not necessarily humbling of the ego was needed, but my perspective of what is life really, and what is my true purpose. I learned a lot about letting go of things that fed toxic insecurities or habits that are encouraged by the media, or our environments. It’s a struggle growing up in the social media generations, it’s a struggle growing up with the things that negatively target and affect young black women, women in general, and society as a whole. Life comes with a lot lol, and I know that anyone whose listening to this right now, understand that feeling. But I know that if it weren’t for those struggles, and more importantly my effort to heal, I wouldn’t have as much appreciation for where I am/who I am today. My understanding of as above, so below.. meaning, to know that hardships are eminent & it’s all about my response to life rather than what life does to me. I don’t let my struggles consume or define me. I don’t let anything external define me.
I say all of this to say, that I’m fully comfortable in my skin! But that didn’t happen until I delve within.
Until i delve within, I became grateful, happy, and content.
“ I remember when I used to whine whenever my mom wouldn’t let me wear makeup to church. I remember when I cried because I couldn’t wear hair extensions for my senior photo. Now I’m completely detached, matter of fact I want to chop it all off , I see hair & makeup as expression more than anything now. I’m becoming less attached towards material and external things, and more content within myself. My love for myself is so much greater. I’m humbled in ways that were necessary for growth. Not necessarily humbling of the ego was needed, but my perspective of what is life really, and what is my true purpose. I learned a lot about letting go of things that fed toxic insecurities or habits that are encouraged by the media, or our environments. It’s a struggle growing up in the social media generations, it’s a struggle growing up with the things that negatively target and affect young black women, women in general, and society as a whole. Life comes with a lot lol, and I know that anyone whose listening to this right now, understand that feeling. But I know that if it weren’t for those struggles, and more importantly my effort to heal, I wouldn’t have as much appreciation for where I am/who I am today. My understanding of as above, so below.. meaning, to know that hardships are eminent & it’s all about my response to life rather than what life does to me. I don’t let my struggles consume or define me. I don’t let anything external define me.
I say all of this to say, that I’m fully comfortable in my skin! But that didn’t happen until I delve within.
Until i delve within, I became grateful, happy, and content.
There was also a part two that I decided not to enter into the video. But I think I'll just exclusively post that part here in this post:
(Part 2)
i cried trying to read this letter.
i cried my first time trying to read this letter to myself because.
it’s something that goes with saying
something about affirmation
something when contemplating
converts to constant praying.
Something happens when you begin to shift
when you become aligned with your gifts
i feel the shift.
i feel it.”
So as I created the concept of this video, it became a beautiful and vulnerable process. It all kind of exploded into this big idea, all because of a spiritual breakthrough recognized from one photo.
Heres the photo:
I was wearing no makeup what so ever, my skin was glowing, health began to really shine through me, and I realized that I was more beautiful in my eyes here than I'd ever been. All of those years trying to fit into a specific persona, and to look presentable by the standards of things that were targeted specifically to influence girls like me, it had met its demise through my growth.
Seriously, coming into your own inner beauty, and growing into your true self, is the true glow-up.
So in the mist of my epic planning for celebrating my growth through the gift of creation, I decided to document it, and make it my debut to the world. I documented every aspect of this project, and created this vlog/doc. Hope you guys enjoy! Below this video I'll post the final project
The Documentary
"A Letter To Myself"
If you really resonate with my story, and you feel all of the warm and welcoming feels that I'm trying to spread, then subscribe to my channel!
i cried trying to read this letter.
i cried my first time trying to read this letter to myself because.
it’s something that goes with saying
something about affirmation
something when contemplating
converts to constant praying.
Something happens when you begin to shift
when you become aligned with your gifts
i feel the shift.
i feel it.”
So as I created the concept of this video, it became a beautiful and vulnerable process. It all kind of exploded into this big idea, all because of a spiritual breakthrough recognized from one photo.
Heres the photo:
![]() |
| Fun Times & Good Vibes at Martha's Vineyard |
I was wearing no makeup what so ever, my skin was glowing, health began to really shine through me, and I realized that I was more beautiful in my eyes here than I'd ever been. All of those years trying to fit into a specific persona, and to look presentable by the standards of things that were targeted specifically to influence girls like me, it had met its demise through my growth.
Seriously, coming into your own inner beauty, and growing into your true self, is the true glow-up.
So in the mist of my epic planning for celebrating my growth through the gift of creation, I decided to document it, and make it my debut to the world. I documented every aspect of this project, and created this vlog/doc. Hope you guys enjoy! Below this video I'll post the final project
The Documentary
If you really resonate with my story, and you feel all of the warm and welcoming feels that I'm trying to spread, then subscribe to my channel!



Comments
Post a Comment
(spread love through ya words)