Black Woman Boredom Wins Again

Five words: I AM THANKFUL FOR GROWTH!

    Over the years, I have been faced with many lessons. With each year feeling different from the year before. The moments that I thought would end me turned out to be blessings and lessons well deserved. I am twenty-eight now, and I am in a healthy in mind, body, and spirit. There is a saying, "black woman boredom makes you break generational curses". I instantly laughed when I heard this because that is literally what I am doing at this very moment.


    My world was defined by survival mode. I've had my ups and downs dealing with anxiety and depressive episodes. I've faced many lessons challenging me to use my voice during adversities rather than shrinking myself. I cringe at how I've responded to certain situations or relationships. During the past seven years, I searched for myself, and I feel like I am making great progress. The late twenties are great; the early twenties were a beautiful mess. Now, I am following through on my word, I am putting myself in spaces 22-year-old me would run from, and I am attracted to commitment.


    Today, I am living in my next phase. I decided to start my life in Orlando, Florida, attending Full Sail University for my MA in Film Production. I would have never guessed in a million years that I would be here, but I am so grateful for this new journey. Life feels boundless, and I feel motivated. Much different and more mature than what my arrival in Atlanta was like.


    Over the next eleven months, I am dealt a big task. Investing in my future requires very hard work on my end, and I am ready for it. My overall career goal is to be a showrunner for an original scripted series and to be a distinguished screenwriter/producer in the WGA and the PGA. Some production companies that I have my eye on include Proximity Media founded by Ryan Coogler, ARRAY Filmworks, founded by Ava Duvernay, Tammy'Dele Films, founded by Tammy Williams, A24, and my top lead A Few Good Women Productions, founded by Michelle Sneed. Most of these options are black-owned, four of them being newly founded and founded by black women in particular. Since they are new, and the demand for my demographic is high in these spaces, I have narrowed my focus to these places, but I am still open to what comes my way along this journey. 


Comments

Popular Posts